Saturday, August 7, 2021

Which one needs care?


 

 I listened to this story from my wife.

 It happened when my wife, my parents, and I lived together. We needed to temporarily leave my mother to a nursery home. She had Alzheimer’s disease.

 Meanwhile, my father needed kidney dialysis. It is said that if a person starts kidney dialysis, they might die in about 10 years. At that time, my father had been doing kidney dialysis for more than 10 years. He was lucky. But he was sickly thin. His blood veins were already bulging. He didn’t use a wheelchair, but he walked very slow. He was hard of hearing, so we needed to speak loudly when we talked to him. But his brain was still healthy. He could do all things in daily life.

 My wife and my parents visited the nursery home to temporarily leave my mother. But the caregivers in the nursery home went to my father instead and almost started caregiving for my father. They assumed that the person who would stay in the nursery home was my father. It made sense. My father looked like a sick person who needed care.

 My mother had Alzheimer’s disease, but she was on the middle stage of the disease, and she looked very healthy on the outside. But she needed 24/7 care at that time.

 Don’t judge people by their appearance.

 Don’t judge people’s health condition by their appearance. Some people look very healthy but might have a serious illness. Some people look very sick but might be very healthy.

Picture by yagi

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com




 

No comments:

Post a Comment