Saturday, September 23, 2023

Pinkie


 A few years ago, I was hovering on the verge of death because of acute diabetes. My highest blood sugar level was 2154 mg/dl. My doctor made presentations at medical conferences about me.

 Now, I have recovered. I don’t inject insulin anymore. I am not on a restricted diet. I am fine.

 But I didn’t recover completely.

 Since then, I’ve been unable to get rid of the numbness in my left pinkie. Even now. It’s as if I wear a work glove just on my pinkie. My pinkie feels weak.

 Let’s look on the bright side. I was lucky. If I were a world-class pianist, it could have been a mortal wound. If I were a world-class violinist, it might have been a fatal injury.

 I use my pinkie just for typing on my computer keyboard. I have difficulty typing “Q,” “A,” and “Z.” Fortunately, Japanese language basically doesn’t use “Q.” So, in my case, I am pretty much fine.

 When I was a child, I studied the violin. I quit. If I had continued and happened to become a world-class violinist, I would have disappointed many classical music fans.

 I am happy I quit the violin. Persistence pays off, but sometimes quitting also pays off.

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.co

Picture by barbulat

No comments:

Post a Comment