Friday, September 8, 2023

Time Bomb Joke





I was a high school student. One day, in an English class, the English teacher did a mysterious thing. I have forgotten almost everything about high school, but I can remember what he did clearly.

 

The teacher wrote two sentences on the blackboard. Then he stopped for a few seconds and stood in silence. Usually, he explained the meaning of the sentences he wrote. But that time, he didn’t. Then he took an eraser and said “This is inappropriate.” He erased the sentences without any explanation. My classmates and I didn’t react. No one understood his actions.

 

For the next few years, I continued studying English. One day, I suddenly understood the sentences.

 

It had been a joke. Furthermore, it was a dirty joke.

 

We were teenagers. We had female classmates. Of course, that was an inappropriate joke in the classroom. That was a dirty joke, but it was a good example for students who were studying grammar. He wanted to explain the meaning of the sentences. But he was a teacher who couldn’t explain in Japanese. He just wrote on the blackboard for a few seconds. I think he believed some of us might keep studying English and someday would understand the joke. He wished someone would laugh in the future. That joke was for the future; it was a time bomb joke.

 

There are many kinds of jokes. Time bomb jokes must be one of them.

 

Teacher, your joke certainly worked!

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by Gugu 

No comments:

Post a Comment