Saturday, October 8, 2022

My Mother and Butter



 

My mother was a child during World War . In Japan, people were short of everything. Food was rationed.

One day there was butter in the rations. I heard it was unusual at the time. That was the first time my mother saw butter. She had heard of butter. She was interested in it.

She told my grandmother, “I want to lick the butter!”

My grandmother might have thought she should not give a precious food ingredient to a child as a snack. She was angry and refused this. “I will use this for cooking.”

They left the butter in the kitchen and moved to another room for a while. A stray cat snuck into the kitchen and ate up the butter. Oh, my poor mother and grandmother!

My grandmother said, “If I knew this, I should have let her lick the butter.”

Some people say it’s for nutrition. Some people say it’s for a healthy diet. However, I say, “Let’s always eat our favorite food in our favorite way. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.”

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by Glowonconcept

 

No comments:

Post a Comment