Saturday, June 15, 2019

Scalper

 

 

In 2001, I lived in Tokyo. The most wonderful thing about Tokyo is it has many theaters and theatrical performances. I went and watched many plays almost every weekend.

 

One day, when I was on my way to a theater, I saw a scalper near the theater.

 

He said, “I have tickets. I have tickets . . .”

 

I was surprised because I have never seen any scalper near the theater before, especially in the mini-theater that I loved to visit. The scalper was also a bit strange.

 

I grew up in a house located near a big-domed stadium. I was used to seeing scalpers. Scalpers are very sensitive about the popularity of performers. For example, if there are enough tickets for a big-name artist, they never show up. They show up only if there are a few tickets left. They have bought tickets earlier and sell them later at expensive prices.

 

The performance that I was going to watch at the theater that day was not similar to an artist’s performance. I could easily get tickets. Furthermore, the scalper was selling tickets alone. I know scalpers work in teams. It was the first time I saw a scalper working alone.

 

Furthermore, his aura was different from other scalpers. He looked more like a crew member of a theatrical group.

 

The most critical clue was a black packing tape he was wearing on his belt. Black packing tape is one of the most useful items in the theater. Scalpers would never use them when selling tickets.

 

I believe he was a crew member of the theater group who just pretended to be a scalper. I guess there were some vacant seats for the show, so the theater group asked one of its crew members to sell tickets near the theater.

 

So many people visit Tokyo. Some go there for sightseeing, others for business. Some just wander around to kill time. If they find a scalper, they would be interested in him because everyone knows scalpers show up only during super-popular performances. They could buy tickets from them.

 

I already bought my ticket, so I didn’t buy from the scalper. I guess he sold tickets in reasonable prices because the theater group would want to sell all tickets. It would increase the group’s income. Furthermore, if the theater was full, the actors would be comfortable to act.

 

My dear friends, especially theater people in the local region, this could be a useful idea! If you plan to perform in Tokyo, you could sell out all tickets. However, scalping is illegal, and your crew member could be suspected by policemen.

 

Picture by Skillinformations

No comments:

Post a Comment