Friday, June 21, 2019

Diaper

 


              My mother has Alzheimer’s disease. I started to let her use a diaper. Generally, finding the right timing of letting patients use a diaper is one of the most difficult points in taking care of them. If it is too early, the patients get mad. Most of the patients don’t realize their disease, so it might deeply hurt their pride. In my mother’s case, the care manager recommended using diapers at a good timing. My mother agreed to use them.

              My wife and I carefully avoided using the word “diaper” in front of my mother. That word could hurt her pride. We used the word “rehab pant” instead of “diaper.” That idea was also recommended by the care manager.

              About ten years after my mother had the diagnosis, communicating with her was sometimes difficult. But we always avoided the word “diaper.” One day, because of carelessness, my wife and I used the word in front of my mother. She suddenly got mad and screamed, “Who uses a diaper? I will never use a diaper!”

              I quickly responded, “We are talking about my diaper. I still use a diaper.”

              My mother peacefully said, “You are talking about your diaper? That is OK.”

              I was almost fifty years old, but my mother never minded that. If she said it was OK, it was OK.

              An expert caregiver for Alzheimer’s disease said, “If you want to be a good caregiver, you should be a good actor.” My experiences as an actor, like doing ad-libs and improvisations, were very useful in taking care of my mother.

Picture by hermandesign2015

No comments:

Post a Comment