Saturday, October 1, 2016

Drone

 Last week I re-watched “Cowboy Be-Bop”, an animated SF TV-show from 1998 by SUNRISE Inc. The characters in the cartoon were like my long lost friends.

 I was shocked when I watched episode eighteen, “Speak like a child”. Suddenly “a drone” appeared. “Drones” were delivering packages from the sky in “the world in 2071”.

 Eighteen years ago, “Cowboy Be-Bop” was canceled because of low viewer ratings. Its unexpected epilogue was the worst episode ever. For enthusiastic supporters including me, SUNRISE Inc. made a movie version in September 2001. But a few days before the release, 9-11 happened. Everyone was glued to the TV. In those days I lived in Tokyo. I went to a theater in downtown Tokyo but few people were watching the movie. “Cowboy Be-Bop” completely failed.

 A friend of mine was working for the Japan Patent Office. I asked him a question:

“The idea of a drone could be inspired by “Cowboy Be-Bop”. The people who get tons of money from drones have a duty to pay “Cowboy Be-Bop”. They need to regather the crew and voice actors to make sequels. Am I right?”

My friend said:

“Published ideas as works can’t have patents. They are just protected by copyright.”

 He meant that even if someone invented a “time machine” in the future, the author of the novel “The time machine” in 1895, H. G. Wells, couldn’t get any money.

 Dear my friends, creators! If you think up a good idea in the future, don’t publish immediately! Please tell the idea to a lawyer and get a patent.

I just wish to watch sequels of “Cowboy Be-Bop”. Someone do something!

Photo by KY

No comments:

Post a Comment