Friday, September 2, 2016

The brave man who went to shopping in a fairyland


My secretly favorite comic writer wrote:

“Thinking realistically, the nearest fairyland must be lingerie shops.”

When I read this joke, I was single and was living by myself. I laughed a lot.

 After my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and I decided to live with her, I faced a situation that made me realize that the joke was not funny.

 I needed to buy underwear for my mother. All her underwear was worn and ragged. I didn’t have any female friend who I could ask to buy lingerie. The only person who could buy underwear for my mother was me.

 I conducted research and concluded that the best place would be a big shopping center. They also sold underwear for males and kids on the same floor. I didn’t have any experience of buying lingerie, so I thought it would take a long time to choose appropriate underwear for my mother. However, I did not want to spend too much time in the lingerie department. I hoped the cashier-lady would not be too young.

 I finally found an ideal shopping center and a perfect cashier-lady. On that day, I didn’t even look at the lingerie area. I just approached the ideal, not young cashier-lady and said to her.

“I am taking care of my mother. She has Alzheimer’s disease. I need to buy underwear for her.”

The lady immediately understood my situation and seriously guided me to the department for female underwear. She quickly showed the recommended underwear. I said:

“Give me ten of the same kind of underwear.”

 This was because I didn’t want to go to the store again for a while.

 Finally, the mission was completed. It was the longest day in my life.

 

 A week later, our care-manager said to me.

“I recommend you let her use rehab-pants (diapers for adults).” 

I did.

I can buy diapers in a pharmacy easily.

The ten pairs of underwear I bought at the risk of my life are in a chest of drawers, unused. But you may recount the legend of the brave man who went shopping in a fairyland.

picture by perming

 

No comments:

Post a Comment