Friday, July 24, 2026

The First Experience

When I was a high school student, a friend of mine said, “This morning, when I was taking the bus, I saw an old man standing. So I offered him my seat. But he yelled at me, ‘I am not that old!’ I’d assumed I would be praised.”

At that time, I thought that some old people were strange. I had to be careful when I offered my seat to an old person.

Now, I am over fifty. My senior friends have already had the experience of being offered young people’s seats. I find that I understand how the old man felt.

A person never realizes that they are old on their own. One day, suddenly, someone pronounces, “You are old!” That could happen to me soon.

Will I act properly then? A young person may offer their seat to me. Will I smile and accept that offer? Will I say, “Thank you,” to that person? I am not sure. Life is a succession of first experiences, and I have failed at most of my first experiences.

I think I might scream at the kind young person.

Ours is also a difficult age.

Japanese

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by hirokoji

No comments:

Post a Comment