Friday, June 21, 2024

Sharp Ears

Getting old might involve losing one’s faculties. My father was hard of hearing when he was old. On the other hand, my mother had good hearing, but she had Alzheimer’s disease.

Caregiving for an Alzheimer’s patient is very hard. It is especially hard when the patient and caregiver live together. Most caregivers don’t last beyond a few months. I had taken care of my mother for fourteen years. Of course it was not all happy days. Disputes were a part of caregiving.

One day, I was tired of my mother’s aimless talking, I climbed to the second floor and entered my room. And I said to myself, “Give it a rest!” Then my mother screamed from the ground floor, “What do you mean, ‘Give it a rest’?”

At least she had sharp ears.

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by K.Nakano

No comments:

Post a Comment