Saturday, June 15, 2024

Dishwashing Liquid

One day, when I was a kindergartener, a teacher said to us, “We will play at the pool tomorrow. You can bring your water gun.” 

I didn’t have a water gun, so I asked my mother to buy one. But she had another idea: “If you have an empty dishwashing liquid bottle, you can use it as a water gun.” 

The next day, everyone except me came with a water gun. I brought an empty dishwashing liquid bottle. 

There were fatal differences between the water guns and the bottle, for instance, their ranges. The bottle pushed water out over a very short range. The water guns launched water over a very long range. I was no match for the other kids. This is one of my bitter memories.

After that day, the teacher said that none of us would ever bring water guns again. We played at the pool without water guns. I didn’t know why. But now I wonder if it was because of us.

Perhaps the teachers saw a miserable child playing with a bottle instead of a water gun. They might have thought, “He must be from an economically poor family. His parents can’t afford a water gun. We have treated him unkindly. From now on, we will never use water guns.”

If that was the case, they were wrong. I am actually from a relatively rich family. My mother was a busy woman. She was an ideas woman too. She had no time to buy a water gun, so she came up with that idea. 

If that was what happened, I apologize to the teachers and kindergarteners. They had a pool, but for safety reasons, they couldn’t fill it with enough water. They could have only enough water to wet their toes. No one could swim in the pool. So asking the children to bring water guns was a nice way of letting them play safely. Without the water guns, the shallow pool was useless.

If you have little children, give them water guns.

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by Kobito


No comments:

Post a Comment