Saturday, August 27, 2022

My Mother and Hymn



 

My mother has Alzheimer’s disease. An Alzheimer’s patient forgets many things, but there are exceptions. This includes crystalized memory, the things that a patient repeatedly does.

When I lived with my mother, she went to day service. It gave me a brief rest. One Christmas day, my mother came back from the day service with a helper and the care manager.

The care manager was excited and said, “Today we had a Christmas party. We played hymns on a CD. Your mother could sing all the songs on the CD!”

My mother was a Christian. Most people around her didn’t know this. My mother didn’t have siblings. Her father had passed away when she was a child. My grandmother was sickly.

My grandmother said to my mother, “If I pass away, you should enter a convent. At least they will feed you.”

My mother studied at a Christian junior high school and a Christian university. I believe she had faith in God. After she graduated from the university, she didn’t have a chance to go to church. Our town didn’t have a church. This was why people around her didn’t know she was a Christian.

She has Alzheimer’s disease. It is difficult to communicate with her now. I don’t know if she is still a Christian or not.

I think, at least, she knows a lot of hymns.

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by fuwari

 

No comments:

Post a Comment