Saturday, May 1, 2021

Forbidden Rock


 

When I was a junior high school student, I was a member of the broadcasting club. We would air music and speeches during lunchtime. What we broadcasted depended on students’ requests. Sometimes I aired my favorite music. 

 

There was a strict rule about school broadcasting: no rock music. We could broadcast any kind of music except rock music.

 

I asked the adviser of the club, “Why is rock music not allowed?” The adviser answered, “If we broadcast rock music, all of the students will start to dance. It will cause a big problem.”

 

I couldn’t understand. Even if we broadcasted rock music, I couldn’t imagine my schoolmates starting to dance.

 

I think back on that memory these days. It makes me laugh. There was a generation who loved rock music very much. Maybe they couldn’t help dancing anytime they heard rock music.  But they are older than my generation. We like rock music. But we don’t have such enthusiasm for rock music.

 

At that time, the rock music generation had already graduated from our school. But the school rule remained.

 

I envy that generation. I don’t have any music that will make me want to dance in any situation.

 

Freddie Mercury said: I won’t be a rock star. I will be a legend.” He was right. They, including my senior students, are not rock stars. They are legends.

Picture by studiostoks

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.Com

No comments:

Post a Comment