Saturday, February 13, 2021

Cellphone

 



 

When my mother had Alzheimer’s disease, she lost the ability to use a cellphone.

 After about five years, I decided to let her have a cellphone again. I wanted to avoid missing her.

 She always had her favorite bag when she went out. I tied a cellphone to the bag. I provided some instructions with the cellphone. I covered most of the push buttons with packing tape. She could see and make a few speed dials. I wrote my name on one of the speed-dial buttons.

 We trained every day. I would say, “Please call to Shu.” Then I would make her hold the phone and push the button. Then we would talk for a while. She also trained to receive calls from me. I called her up from the next room. She practiced getting the phone.

 It is said that learning something new is difficult for an Alzheimer’s patient. But finally my mother learned how to use the cellphone. Even if she got lost, she could contact me.

 Nevertheless, these efforts were for nothing. She never used the phone when she was alone. Thanks to the care manager, helpers, day service crews, my father, my wife, and of course herself, we always knew where she was.

 I thought of an invention: a cellphone specialized for Alzheimer’s patients with just a few speed-dial buttons. On the buttons, there are names and pictures. An Alzheimer’s patient may find it easy to use but would sometimes need help. In most cases, not many caregivers can really help the patient. That cellphone could help connect the patient to caregivers.

Picture by Purin

No comments:

Post a Comment