Saturday, June 6, 2020

Encore


 

 

 At a classical music concert, after the performance, the audience don’t stop clapping. Then the performers show up again and perform the encore.

 In Japanese theater, especially in a mini-theater, which I took part in, we didn’t practice the encore. I know some big musical plays have to practice the encore, but we didn’t. After a performance, when the last audience stops clapping, the whole performance ends. So I have never experienced an encore, except one day.

 On that day, all actors, including me, and crew members had a good performance. We didn’t make any serious mistake. The audience were great. We felt a sense of unity.

 In small theater performances like ours, we have a practice of “seeing off.” The actors show up at the lounge and see off the audience, including our friends and family members who came to the theater to watch the show. We can talk to them directly and say “thank you.”

 On that day, I rushed to the lounge because I felt that we did a great performance. I really wanted to say “thank you” to the audience as soon as possible. The director was in the lounge. We made eye contact. We didn’t say anything, but we smiled at each other. Both of us knew tonight’s performance was great. No words were needed in a situation like this.

The director and I waited for the audience in the lounge with big smiles on our faces. This was one of the best moments in my life.

But the audience didn’t come out to the lounge. We waited for a long time. It was too long. I wondered what was happening. I opened the door to check, and I was surprised. All the audience were still clapping. All actors, except me, were on the stage. They were smiling and waving their hands to the audience.

That was an encore!

It could happen spontaneously? In a small theater performance like ours?

I tried to return to the stage, but the encore was almost finished. I was the only actor who didn’t show up for the encore. I missed the chance to enjoy the encore, which may never happen in my life again.

Wise men say only fools rush in.

Picture by mounel

No comments:

Post a Comment