Saturday, August 31, 2019

The Privilege of a Relative

 

One of my relatives runs a pediatric clinic near my home. The clinic doesn’t accept consultations for adults. I am a middle-aged man, but I have the privilege of a relative. When I catch a cold, I can see the doctor in the clinic.

 

One day, I caught a cold, so I visited the clinic. When I was in the waiting room, a nurse said with a high-tone voice, “Hello, Honey-Bunny Shu! Our doctor is waiting for you!”

 

She looked around me and asked me, “Where is Honey-bunny Shu?”

 

Then I answered, “I am Honey-bunny Shu.”

 

She was a new nurse. She didn’t know the doctor and I were relatives. She never suspected I was the patient. It was a pediatric clinic.

 

I was very embarrassed. It was almost laughing-stock.

 

Should I see a doctor in another clinic when I catch a cold? I did it once, but my relative got mad when he learned that I visited another clinic.

 

What should I do?

 

In most cases, privilege and laughing-stock are two sides of the same coin.

Picture by Keiigo K

No comments:

Post a Comment