Saturday, July 20, 2024

“Clapping”

My wife’s sister is working as a nurse in London.

 

When the pandemic started, my sister-in-law cared for the first Covid-19 patient at her hospital. The hospital had few PPEs. The PPEs were all the same size. They perfectly matched her.

 

Then she moved to a hospital that specialized in Covid-19. She was on the front line during the pandemic. I think she was a hero.

 

On TV, I heard that people at the hospitals for Covid-19 in the UK would welcome commuting medical workers by clapping. I was impressed by this story. At the time, in Japan, medical workers’ children were being abused at school. I thought this reflected a negative side of Japan.

 

My sister-in-law and I talked about the topic. I assumed she would be proud of the actions of the people in the UK. But, instead, she said, “I hated that.”

 

She is a very shy person. She hates to have attention be paid to her. She hates to have people clap for her. Most of my readers are theatrical artists. So, most of us can’t understand this feeling. There are some people in the world who don’t like to be clapped for.

 

She said she was simply doing her job. She was just commuting to her workplace.

 

This did not deserve to be clapped for.

 

She had worked on the front line during the pandemic. She didn’t get infected at her workplace. I think she is a really great nurse.

 

A few years later, Covid-19 infections became common occurrences.

 

She got infected at a family party. Of course, nurses are normal people in their private lives.

 

I learned that there are some people who hate to have people clap for them. But I still want to clap for great workers. Is this because I am a theatrical person?

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by Zyuri Takai

No comments:

Post a Comment