Saturday, April 15, 2023

Preaching



 

My grandfather was from Toyohashi. His grave is there. My mother lost him when she was in the first grade. The grave had a lot of meaning for her. When she was healthy, we often visited the grave.

 

Usually, we also visited the Buddhist temple. The priest served us green tea. And he would engage in Buddhist preaching.

 

But his preaching was very tedious. I am sure he didn’t have a sense of how to preach. I almost started to hate Buddhism.

 

But the green tea that he poured was extremely delicious. I was always surprised by the taste of the tea.

 

Toyohashi is near Shizuoka. Green tea is a well-known product in Shizuoka. The priest could even get good tea leaves at an economical price.

 

He always poured tea in front of us. So, I bought green tea in Shizuoka, and I poured it in the same way as he did. But it didn’t have the same taste. Is that difference because of Buddhist magic?

 

I used to visit the grave and the temple with my mother. My motivation was to drink the tea. At the time, I wished the preaching was more interesting.

 

Now, the priest has passed away. I can’t taste the tea forever. Looking back on it, I miss the tedious preaching, too.

 

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

Picture by inoha

No comments:

Post a Comment