Saturday, September 11, 2021

Curtain

 


 

              When I lived with my mother, who had Alzheimer’s disease, I served her dinner at 6:00 p.m. In the winter, it was dark. I had to close the curtains, but I intentionally opened the curtains and helped my mother eat because I wanted to avoid abusing my mother.

              Caregivers tend to abuse patients who have Alzheimer’s disease, especially at home. In most cases, their sons do. Blaming the sons is easy, but I really understand why they do it. Men in my generation don’t expect to be caregivers at home and at school. Generally, they are not good at caregiving. The period when parents need caregiving usually overlaps with the period when their son is at his most blessed.

              Also, Alzheimer’s patients often disturb their caregivers’ sleep. The lack of sleep causes mental and physical disorders. I always thought, This is not my life. I was not raised so nicely by my mother that I need to do this. I was always worried that I could start abusing my mother.

              This was why I took care of my mother with the curtains open. It kept me reasonable. If I abused my mother in this situation, someone might inform the police. I didn’t abuse my mother to protect myself.

              In the end, I never abused my mother. I sent her to a nursery home. It took fourteen years. If a person who is not familiar with Alzheimer’s disease listens to this story, they might feel nothing about it. Not abusing one’s own mother is natural, but I think I made a great achievement.

              In the evening, if you find a house with curtains open, they might have some problems.

Picture by Toranosuke

Proofreading by ProofreadingServices.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment