Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Best Job

 



 

 I have worked in many kinds of jobs.

 All of them were easier than taking care of my mother, who had Alzheimer’s disease. If you ask me what the easiest job I have ever done was, doubtless, it was this!

 The librarian for the university library! I was a librarian in the 2000s.

 A library in a university has mainly difficult books. They took time to read. Then a few students came to the library. I used to work at the reception desk and do procedures for renting books. But only about two or three students came to the reception desk per hour. I could work on my chair. About one time per hour, I would bring the returned books back to the bookshelf. It was nice to take a walk. They also had an air conditioner. Once a while, my superior said to me, “Please, take a rest.” But I was already rested. I couldn’t imagine a more relaxing situation.

 I used a computer to perform procedures for renting books. I was allowed to use the computer for my personal purposes. In those days, I was kind of a writer. I was writing on the computer during work time. Moonlighting. While doing one job, I was also doing another job. It was very efficient.

 One day, when I was double working, the section manager was approaching me. He was the highest superior I had ever talked to in the library. I was worried he might complain about my moonlighting. But he said, “Your typing speed is very high.”

 He praised me.

 Later, when I published my first book, the section manager came to my house and bought a copy of my book.

 I wish all workplaces in the world might be like this.

Picture by graphicalicious

 

No comments:

Post a Comment