Saturday, January 11, 2020

My Father Believed It

 

It is so hard to accept when a family member has Alzheimer’s disease. Other family members may think that it is a misdiagnosis, like I did. But it is even harder to accept that Alzheimer’s is an incurable disease. The family members start to look for some famous hospitals and great doctors, like I did. But no cure has been found for this disease yet.

After a while, the family members tend to accept the situation. Most of them give up seeking a way to recover, like I did. I just accepted the fact that there is no cure for the disease. My mother is in front of me, but I will never see my intelligent mother anymore. I understood.

It was about six years ago when my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. My father and I talked about the renovation of our house; we lived together. I suggested for him to use my mother’s deposit for the expense. It was legal because the renovation was for the care of my mother.

But my father refused, saying, “If we do that, if she recovers from the disease in the future, she will be mad at me!”

I was surprised. He still believed her disease would be cured in the future.

He passed away shortly after that incident. I think he believed till the final moment of his life that she would recover.

My mother is in a nursing home now. There is a possibility a new remedy will be invented. Then she will be cured completely. If that happens, I have many things to say to her. Most of them are complaints.

I hope some medical geniuses would invent a great remedy as soon as possible.

Picture by Graphs

No comments:

Post a Comment