Saturday, December 28, 2019

Abuse of Power


 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 In the 2000s, I was a part-time library assistant in a university. It was the most comfortable job ever. Librarians basically sat down on their chairs. Sometimes we stood up and walked around to return books to the shelfs or finding closed books. Jobs that require both sitting down and standing up are hard. We sat down and stood up once in a while. A librarian’s job is a well-balanced one.

 Furthermore, I had a great side benefit.

 In those days, the Harry Potter series was quite popular even in Japan. There were over 200 on the waiting list at the city library. One day, the newest Harry Potter book was delivered to our library. I checked the waiting list, but no one reserved the book. I knew many students want to read it. The neighbors around the university could use the library. They want to read the book. But most people didn’t think the university library had Harry Potter books.

 I should put the book in the shelf for new books, but I abused my power as a librarian. I didn’t store the book; instead I completed formal procedures so that I can borrow it. I was the first in our library to read the newest Harry Potter book. I borrowed the book from the library, but it was completely new.

 I think all jobs should be allowed to have these kinds of side benefits.

Picture by Pinkari

No comments:

Post a Comment