Friday, September 14, 2018

Sandwich

 


When I was a university student, I almost did not attend my classes. I was crazy about acting on stage. I was an amateur actor.

One evening, I happened to meet a girl at a subway station whom I got acquainted on a theatrical event. She was tremendously beautiful. We had not met for months. We enjoyed chatting on the platform. When the train approached, she whispered, “I am hungry.” It was dinnertime. Now I believe she made a great chance to ask for a dinner. If I had taken the chance, I would have a different life. However, I was a stupid young man.

“Yes! I have a sandwich. I will give it to you,” I said.

Unbelievably, I took out a sandwich from my bag and gave it her. That was my leftover lunch. She burst out laughing, but I could not understand why. I thought, I gave her my precious sandwich, but why was she laughing?

She was a beautiful, perfect, sweet lady. After she laughed, she ate my sandwich, smiling.

If I had recognized her sign at that time, it would have never happened. In those days, I was not well-off. I was a nameless amateur actor. I did not even have ten dollars in my wallet. How could I ask her for dinner?

Today I am smarter and richer, but not young.

Picture by takagix

 

No comments:

Post a Comment