Friday, March 30, 2018

Part-Time Job Interview

 In the 1980s, I was a university student. One day I had an interview for a part-time job. There were several interviewers. One of them was my mother’s old friend. I hadn’t known that he was working there, and he didn’t recognize me. I thought it would be rude for me to ignore him. So I said, “Hi. I’m the son of your friend!” He seemed shocked. He expressed surprise like an old-style comedian. I thought he was overreacting.

 Today, I am as old as he was then. I could be a job interviewer. And the child of one of my friends could come to me for a job interview. If that happened to me, I would be as surprised as an old-style comedian. Friends’ children grow up too fast!

 On the day of my interview, I told the other interviewers stories about my mother’s friend. They were stories that I had heard from my mother. It was a nightmare for him.

 On second thought, I could never be an interviewer!

Picture by maimu

 

No comments:

Post a Comment